Tirunelveli.District, Tamil Nadu,
India - 627 724.
Phone nos: +914636-282127/39
AL-Block, New no: 20
4th Cross Street,11th Main Road,
Anna Nagar, Chennai,
Tamil Nadu, India - 600 040
Phone Nos: +9144 - 26214252/4989
Achievements in studies and Positions Held
- Gold Medal in Economics and Best Speaker Award in St. Xavier’s College in 1964
- First Prize in Tamil Nadu Inter-Collegiate Tamil Oratorical Competitions,1964-65 and 1965-66 representing Presidency College .Madras.
- First Prize –Silver Cup in Inter-Collegiate Elocution Competition conducted by Madras City Police to celebrate Road safety week in 1965
- Best orator Award in Law College, Madras in 1969.
- Made his first speech on stage at the age of Eight in the presence of Krishna Doss Gandhi who came to his village Kalingappatti for the Bhoomi Dhaan Movement.
- President-Presidency College Victoria Hostel Tamil Association.1965-66
- Organizer Youth Forums; and Joint Organizer ,DMK Student Wing .1970
- President-Kalingappatti Panchayat 1970
- President- Land Development Bank, Kuruvikulam, 1971-75
- President- M.D.K. Co-Operative Supervisors’ Training Institute. 1971-76
- Chairman- Kuruvikulam Panchayat Union.1970-76
- President- District Central Co-Operative Bank. Tirunelveli
- 1972-73 Propaganda Secretary- DMK Party for Tirunelveli and kanyakumari Districts
- Election Campaign Secretary of DMK from 1984 to 1993.
- 1978-96 Member of Parliament –Rajya Sabha
- 1983 Convener- Voluntary Blood Donors Association.Tirunelveli
- Founder of Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra kalagam on 6th of May 1994.
- 1998-99-Member of Parliament – Lok Sabha-Sivakasi
- 1999-2004 Member of Parliament-Lok Sabha-Sivakasi
- Detained under MISA from Feb,1.1976 to Feb,2.1977 (One Year)
- For 40 days for organizing Black Flag Demonstration against former Prime Minister Smt. Indira Gandhi’s visit to Tamil Nadu in Oct .1977.
- 22 times during 1978-81 for peaceful demonstrations and picketing against the Central Government of India and the State Government of TamilNadu.
- Four Times during 1978-81 for organizing volunteer camps of DMK.
- During 1986-87 for anti Hindi agitations
- 2002 -2004 ,for 577 days under POTA (19 months)in Vellore Central Jail for highlighting the plight of Eelam Tamils in his speeches at public meetings.
- Nov-Dec 2008 for 2 weeks by DMK regime on sedition charges.
- On the whole he has spent more than four years in Prison as a Political prisoner.The most by any Dravidian Leader.
- Vaiko’s Clarion Call (A collection of his Parliamentary speeches in the 12th Lok Sabha
- From The Portals Of a Prison
- I Accuse
- State Autonomy
- Raththam Kasiyum Idhayathin Kural
- Sirayil Virintha Madalgal.
- Indhiyai Ethirkirome Aen?
- Tamil Eelam Aen?
- Thalirkal Thalalaagum; Tamil Eelam Uruvaagum
- Kutram Saattugiraen
- Padayin Maatchi
- Tamilar Vaalvil Thanthai Periyaar
- Vaikovin Sanganaatham
- Vaalvu Malarum Vali
- Tamil Isaithaen
- Isaithaenaai……..Ilakkiath thendralaai…….
- Thadaigalaith Thagarppoam! Thayagam Kaappoam!
- Ulaga Naadugalin Onedriyam
- Varalaaru Santhiththa Valakkugal
- Pennin Perumai
- Oslovin Anbukkural
- Thanalum Thanmayum
- Endru Thaniyum Indha Suthanthira Thaagam?
- Oslovil Amaithippuraa
- Vetrich Sangoli
- Vaagai Sooduvoam
- Ulagukku Oray Podhumarai
- Puyalin Mugangal
- Erodetup Parani
- Otrumai Oangattum
- Tamilarin Poarvaal
- Manitha Urimaigal
- Potrip Paaduvoam
- Aam Nammaal Mudiyum
- Vaikovin Kadithangal- Baagam 1
- Vaikovin Kadithangal- Baagam 2
- Marumalarchi Pera Elutchi Nadai
- Ulaippaal Uyarvoam
- Yamunaik Karayil
- Tamilaal Uyarvoam
- Baranikkarayil Puratchikkanal
- Thaagam Theera ……Paasanam Peruga………..
- Thaen Malargal –Vaiko’s Literary Speeches
- NaduNaadu Thantha Nambikkai
- Widely Travelled
- The USA, England, Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, Norway, Australia ,Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, China.
- In 1998 from September to October On the invitation of the American Govt he toured the USA for 40 days.
- In Oct of 2000 he participated in the United Nations General Assembly’s new Millennium session as a representative of India.
Public Service and Accomplishments
- President-Citizen’s Forum for Rehabilitation of Physically Handicapped
- Through this forum Vaiko conducted three camps for the treatment of physically handicapped people in Sivakasi .The first one was from 29.1.1999 to 2.2.1999and the second was from 26.6.1999 to 1.7.1999.The logistics were arranged by him for all the people .Over 500 operations were performed in Sivakasi by the doctors who came from the Tirumala Tirupathi Devastaanam under the Leadership of Dr.Jegadeesh.
- A further 2000 Handicapped were chosen for Operation at the Tirupathi centre .The funds for their travel, treatment and stay there for a month were taken care of by Vaiko.
- A total of 8000 handicapped were treated in these three camps.
- With the help of then Union Social welfare minister of India Mrs. Menaka Gandhi, Hundreds of Handicapped were given Three Wheel Cycles, Wheel Chairs and Crutches.
- Organized ‘HEPATITIS-B’ “Free Vaccination Camp” in which 65,000 Children ( below 12 years) had been Immunized in Sivakasi Parliamentary constituency .Each child was given three doses over three scheduled days .The logistics and the camp were conducted without a single glitch. The funds for the camps were arranged by Vaiko.
- Founder-Marumalarchi Blood Donors Association.
- Organized Blood Donation Camp all over TamilNadu.
- Organized Blood Donation camp for Eelam Tamils.
- Organized Many Eye Camps in Sivakasi Parliamentary Constituency with the help of Rotarians.
- Organizes Free Tutorial Camps for students taking their school Final exams, for those taking Medical and Engineering entrance examinations and for those preparing for civil services exams.
- He has helped hundreds of Students to Study by getting them admissions in his friend's colleges without any capitation fees.He has also helped many students study for free in various colleges and schools.
- He was solely responsible in getting the Railways to convert the meter gauge railway line from Virudhunagar to Sengottai and Tenkasi to Tiruchendur to broad Gauge at a cost of Rs.400 crores .The Railways had earlier rejected these projects as financially unviable..
- The then Railway minister Nitish Kumar in a meeting in Viruthunagar on 17.6.99 to lay the foundation stone of the gauge conversion work of Virudhunagar-Quilon; Tenkasi-Thiruchendur; broad gauge scheme, mentioned in his speech that due to the Herculean effort of his friend Vaiko, this scheme, which was a dream project of Vaiko, came to fruition
- He has served on many committees during his Parliamentary terms.
- He was solely responsible for building Two Railway Line crossing Flyovers in Kovilpattai and one in Virudhunagar which were the wishes of the people for more than 30 years . All of them were multi crore projects.He has got the sanction for another muliti crore Flyover in Kovilpatti.
- He brought Internet to Sivakasi and Virudhunagar and an internet intelligence node at Sivakasi .After Chennai and Kovai it was the Third place in the state to get this facility.
- He fought for the rights of the small and cottage industry Matchbox manufacturers of Sivakasi.
- He was instrumental in helping to promote colleges in his constituency.
- He took up the cause of the firecracker units with the PM,he arranged for the representatives of the industry to meet the PM to air their grievances.
- He maintained a 24 hour working office at Sivakasi for the constituents.
- He installed many drinking water schemes in his constituency.
- He brought Rajiv Gandhi Drinking water scheme to the constituency .With a Rs.40 crore funding ,505 villages received drinking water through this scheme.
- Using the funds allotted to MP's he built School buildings,Overhead water tanks,Community Halls and other public conveniences numbering 913 in his constituency.
- He was a vociferous speaker in Parliament. both in the Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha.
- He defended the honour of MGR in Parliament when the then Sri Lankan President Jayawardene spoke ill of him.He explained his support of MGR by saying,He (MGR)might be my opponent in politics but he is my Chief Minister and a visiting dignitary could enjoy our hospitality and leave but shouldn't criticize our local leaders on our soil.
- He stopped criticizing MGR personally after MGR started helping the Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- He was also quick to chide and silence a member in Parliament when he spoke ill of Sanjay Gandhi after his Demise.
- He also spoke highly of Madam Indira Gandhi's gesture in visiting the dead co-pilot's house and spending time with his parents when her own son Sanjay was lying in state.
- He maintains Integrity,Honesty and Steadfastness in his public life.
- His Party in their very first State Conference at Tiruchi,made a Resolution that a separate Eelam was the only viable solution for Eelam Tamils.
- He and his Party have been soupporting the cause of Eelam without ever wavering .
- He was solely responsible in getting the Indian Govt to release stamps in honor of Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan,P.S.Kumarasamy Raja(Former Chief Minister of Madras State), Freedom Fighter Veera Pandia Kattabomman and Quaid-e-Milleth.He also has made repeated representation to release stamps of Omanthoor Ramasamy Reddiar,Kalki,Maaveeran Poolithevan,Rasigamani TKC and others.
- He persuaded the Central Govt to give Permission for a Memorial building for Kamaraj at Kanyakumari..
- He appealed to the then PM V.P.Singh to declare May 1st as a national holiday , to which the PM heeded and from then on it became a national Holiday to celebrate the International Labour Day.
- He made the Central Govt to reinstate 156 Postal workers as permanent workers in TamilNadu .They were dismissed after being kept as temporary workers for a long time.
- He was solely responsible for stopping the privatization of the Neyveli Lignite Corporation by the Central Govt by arguing against it’s proposed privatization with the then PM Vajpayee.
- He was the first member to introduce a private member’s bill in Parliament to interlink all the National Rivers.
- He was solely responsible in improving the rural roads in his constituency with funds from rural road development schemes and from NABARD.
- He was solely responsible in converting the Thirumangalam-Thiruvilliputtoor-Rajapalayam highway into a National Highway.
- On the request of his constituents he got 7400 Gas connections at a single time as a special allotment. This was at a time when an Upper limit of only 160 connections were allowed per year.
- It was on his request at the1998 Renaissance Rally and meeting in Chennai , the then PM Vajpayee gave an assurance on that Dais that the Sethusamudram ship canal Project would be implimented.
- He was instrumental in banning import of Tea and Rubber from Srilanka that would have hurt our domestic manufacturers
- He asked the Central Govt to Nationalize all the rivers of India in a speech in Parliament. He brought this issue to the house through a private members bill.
- He welcomed the Pokran Nuclear Tests.
- He has vociferously fought for the Kaveri river water Tribunal’s Interim orders to be implemented
- He has taken up the cause of Ullaar, Mullai Periyar,and other water projects to safe guard the rights of Tamilnadu farmers.
- He has undertaken Nadai Payanam (Long Marches)to safe guard the water rights of Tamil Nadu Farmers.
- He spoke many times in Parliament for waiving Farmer’s loans
- He spoke many times in Parliament to raise the budgetary allocation for Tamil Nadu Railway projects
- He spoke many times in Parliament on the need to return ownership of Mercantile Bank to the Nadar community. He also took up their cause, from the begginning ,with the PM.
- On his request then Finance minister of India Yashwant Sinha added Spinning mills also as eligible for finance from the financial package set up for Indian Textiles’ Technological development .
- He brought a private member’s bill in parliament to give reservation for Dalit Christians.
- He brought a private member’s bill to do away with the censoring of letters by Govt..
- He has undertaken Nadai Payanam(Long Marches) from Kanyakumari to Chennai ,from Nellai to Chennai and many other Nadai Payanam to highlight issues for the betterment of Tamil Nadu and its people.
- He brought the plight of the southern candidates in appearing for staff selection exams to the notice of the govt and got the govt to change the pattern of exams.
- He was instrumental in blocking the reduction of Loksabha seats for Tamil Nadu from 39 to 33 .He took up this cause with the then PM Vajpayee who gave him an assurance that he will personally take up the matter and that Tamil Nadu would not lose SIX Parliamentary seats.
- He made a trip to Eelam at the height of the LTTE’s war with the combined forces of India and Sri Lanka. On his return when he entered into the Parliament all the members of Parliament irrespective of their parties welcomed him for his safe return by an unanimous thumping of desks.
- Due to his strenuous effort 15,000 households that were denied ration cards in his constituency were issued ration cards.
- He persuaded the Arab govt to mitigate the Death sentence given to Paul Nadar and succeeded
- He persuaded the Indian govt to scrap the death sentence of Gurusamy Naicker a direct descendant of Veera Pandia Kattabomman and succeeded.
- A total of 324 persons in his constituency received funds from The PM ‘s relief fund for heart and Kidney operations on his recommendation.
- He got the express trains to stop at Sathur.
- He persuaded the Indian Railways to allot berths to the on duty ticket examiners (TTE) who were for all these years given only a seat to sit through their night journeys on trains.
- He got an assurance from the Railway minister to convert the Viruthunagar-Aruppukkottai -Manamadurai meter gauge rail line to broad gauge.
- He was solely responsible for the govt allocating Rs.13 crores for the development of Rajapalayam and Sivakasi Municipalities.
- He has been responsible for rescuing many Indians lodged in foreign prisons.Nine of those rescued had been given the death sentence in Malaysia for crimes they didn't commit .
- When a bill was brought in Parliament detrimental to the minorities he got it to be scrapped at the introduction stage itself by speaking and voting against it, though he was with the treasury benches.
- By his petitions in the supreme court on the POTA case he got the court to say that mere oral support for a banned organization isn’t wrong. Through this, he has safeguarded the freedom of speech enshrined in our constitution.
- V.P.Singh,Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh offered Vaiko Cabinet posts which he rejected.In fact Vajpayee offered Vaiko any cabinet berth of Vaiko's choice .He rejected the offer and made two of his colleagues as ministers in the A.B.Vajpayee's Cabinet.
- On the 2nd of July 2000 at MDMK Party's State Conference in Erode L.K.Advani said"The Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee ji and myself tried to persuade Vaiko to accept ministership in the Central Cabinet but he flatly refused.Rarely we see such a politician".
- During the function held on September 3rd 2005 to release his book "From The Portals of A Prison" Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in his Speech paid rich encomiums and Tributes to Vaiko stating that "Vaiko is a Glittering Star among leaders in this Dais.He used to meet me to represent always a public cause ,never a personal request.I salute him."
These words of the Prime Minister are testimonial to the service he renders to the people of the state and country.